1. Remove or recycle anything that is
old, damaged or has not been used for at least 5 years.
Many of us are like pack rats, holding on to old clothes,
knickknacks and other ‘stuff’ thinking maybe
’we will find a use for it one day. Clutter of any
kind is bad Feng Shui. Clutter creates stagnation, attracts
ghosts and traps negative Qi. Negative Qi being defined
as any energies not wanted in a specific area. Qi, itself
is quite neutral and adapts itself to any situation.
Have a garage sale, donate to the Salvation Army, or just
throw out all the old stuff you have been collecting and
2. Remove clutter wherever
it occurs; especially in entrances, hallways, closets, and
shelves. It is important for the Qi to be able to flow easily
like a meandering mountain stream.
3. Cleanse with a smudge stick of Sandalwood,
Sage, or Sweet grass, at least once a month to remove negative
4. The most advantageous direction for
the entrance to a home is from the South.
5. The luckiest number is 8. It is good
to have 8 in your street address or telephone number. Three
and Nine are magical Yang numbers.
Six is a magical Yin number. Four is the unluckiest number.
6. It is good for a home to be higher
than the surrounding ground. It is considered a good omen
if your driveway slopes away from the house. If your driveway
slopes toward the house, you may have bad luck and a flooded
7. All entrances and pathways leading
up to a home should be in good repair. It is a general Feng
Shui principal to keep things in good repair.
8. Meet the neighbours. Friendly neighbours
create good Qi.
9. Main doors should be clearly visible
from the street. Large trees or shrubs blocking the view
of main entrances will block the inflow of health and good
10. If people around you often fall sick,
try giving them a wind chime key chain. The wind chime breaks
up negative energies around them.
11. In your home, the places where children
dislike to go are usually places with bad Feng Shui. Clean
or hang a wind chime.
12. It is best to fix anything that is
broken or throw it out. Clean out storage areas regularly.
Organize and clean up work areas.
13. Two rounded lights
or large porcelain planters at the entrance to your home
will give it a solid welcoming feeling.
14. If people around you love to gossip
and complain,they are creating bad Feng Shui for you. Avoid
them or change the subject. If you are the gossip. Stop.
15. If you are learning Feng Shui or are
just becoming aware of it, don’t become too superstitious.
This is bad Feng Shui for the mind. Learn to look at things
logically and with common sense.
16. Refrigerators and stoves should never
face each other in the Kitchen. This causes friction between
Fire and Water and creates disharmony in the home. Likewise
dishwashers and washbasins should not
be placed opposite the stove. The cure is to move them or
place a wind chime between them to dissipate negative energy.
17. Always smile deeply and from the heart.
This is the secret to success.
18. If you wish to buy a new clock, buy
one that has a pendulum below it to allow Qi to circulate
and one that chimes every hour creating beautiful music.
19. Tapes and cassettes of music are
preferable to a radio station for background music in your
20. Bunk beds are not healthy for the one
sleeping below. Qi is not able to flow freely here. But
if you must, due to space restrictions, use bunk beds in
children’s rooms, monitor their health closely and
try hanging wind chimes to help the Qi circulate.
21. It is best to clean children’s
rooms frequently and open the window for at least 20 minutes
every day, even in Winter.
22. Rectangular desks are better for making
money. Round desks are better for creative work.
23. Black or brightly coloured desks make
work more difficult.
24. Do not place sofas or chairs under
a beam, especially one that is showing. A beam above causes
the Qi to compress creating a feeling of oppression for
anyone sitting under it.
25. Marble dining tables are too heavy
and may cause work or family pressures. Oak is better. The
same is true for heavy glass dining or coffee tables.
26. Cactus plants should not be placed
in offices as their thorny leaves give rise to quarrels
if placed on tables where people gather. Cactus plants,
strategically placed, on the other hand, may have the effect
of getting rid of unwanted people.
27. Always sleep with the head of the
bed against a flat wall to give support and comfort.
28. Generally speaking square and rectangular
is better Feng Shui than round or oval for rooms and homes.
29. Sleep with one side of your bed against
a wall only if you do not want anyone else in there with
you. If you do want someone else in bed with you, then make
sure it can be gotten into from both sides. This allows
the Qi to circulate more freely.
30. For couples wanting children, try
shifting the bed to another part of the room and hang wind
chimes to break up negative energy if having difficulty.
31. There should not be a staircase near
the main entrance of a home or business. When Qi enters
it will have a tendency to scoot upstairs rather than circulate
around the main floor. Qi will then stagnate on the main
floor. The cure is to place a large plant or coat rack by
the stair case to redirect the Qi.
32. When entering a home you should not
be able to see the back door. In this case, Qi will have
a tendency to rush right through the house and out the back
door taking luck, prosperity and health with it. Put a partition
or a large plant to block the view and encourage Qi to circulate
like a stream rather than rush like the wind.
33. Always sleep in a bed that has plenty
of space beneath it to allow free flow of Qi. It is not
good Feng Shui to sleep on a mattress on the floor, or to
store things under a bed.
34. Do not buy a red sofa unless advised
to by a Feng Shui expert. Red
is a colour of activation and excitement and should be used
35. If you wish to buy a new house without
consulting a Feng Shui practitioner, bring a new born baby
into the house. If the baby cries, it means the house does
not have good Feng Shui. If the baby smiles it means the
house has good Feng Shui.
36. It is not good Feng Shui to hang a
heavy object over your bed, especially where your head is.
This compresses Qi and may affect sleep, cause bad dreams
or fall on you in the middle of the night.